As a homeowner, you should be well-acquainted with the need for preventive maintenance to keep your home functional and safe. While preventive maintenance for your roof, major appliances, and gutters are often considered, the prevention of power outages at your home should also be top of mind.
Power outages are caused when the wires or other distribution equipment involved in transmitting power to your home are in some way compromised or disrupted. This can happen due to storms, equipment failures, or other accidents. However, according to the Electric Power Research Institute, a leading cause of power outages is wildlife, with squirrels being a major culprit. Fortunately, this is something Critter Guard has long recognized and has actively designed products to mitigate.
How to Prevent and Prepare for Power Outages
To prevent and prepare for outages at your home, you can take the following steps:
- Follow your local energy providers' guidance on vegetation management and keep trees trimmed and branches clear of wires. This will not only prevent storm-related issues like downed branches but will also help prevent squirrels and other wildlife from taking an easy path from branch to wire.
- Install Critter Guard’s Line Guard and Pole Guard systems to prevent rodents and other wildlife from accessing power lines and causing an outage.
- Become familiar with how to communicate an outage to your local energy provider. Also, sign up for text alerts or download your utility's mobile app so you can track whether an outage is system-generated or local to your home.
- Ensure you have back-up batteries for necessary equipment in your home to support medical and communication needs of your family.
Stay Safe During an Outage
In the event of a power outage, keep these safety tips in mind.
- Disconnect appliances and electronics that could be damaged by electrical surges.
- Contact your local energy provider to report the outage.
- Stay away from any downed wires or compromised electrical equipment until your energy provider can respond.
Power outages can be costly and sometimes dangerous but can be prevented with the help of Critter Guard’s Line Guard and Pole Guard systems. For more information about our products, contact us today!