5 Signs of Electrical Problems in Your Home

RSS
5 Signs of Electrical Problems in Your Home

Spaces such as attics and basements provide a perfect place for rodents to hide, and they often succeed in doing so, as their bodies are small and can squeeze through small spaces. While in these hide-outs, these critters often take up the habit of chewing electrical wiring to keep their teeth from overgrowing. Since these electrical wires are in hidden spaces, it could take a total electrical failure for you to realize the cause of the problem.

In order to prevent significant electrical issues, check out the following warning signs of electrical problems in your home.

1. Frequently Blown Fuses and Circuit Breakers

In order to prevent overloading, fuses and circuit breakers are designed to fail. If you notice you blow the same fuse repeatedly when using one single outlet, you could have an overloaded circuit.

2. Sparking

Sparking could indicate a possible electrical problem. While small, occasional sparks may occur when first plugging in an appliance, large and frequent sparks typically indicate an issue (such as a loose wire) within your circuit or outlet.

3. Hot Outlets or Switch Plates

The outlet that powers an appliance should never emit heat. Rodent chewing habits may contribute to outlet or switch plate overheating when sensitive components of the circuit are destroyed.

4. Dimming or Flickering Lights

Dim or flickering lights could be an indication of a power surge, a problem with the light fixture itself, or loose or damaged wiring connections to the light fixture. If you notice frequent flickering or dimming of lights, the wiring in your home could be in need of repair or an upgrade.

5. Unusual Odors

A burning or other odd smell coming from an outlet or switch plate could be a sign of a wiring or overload issue within your home. If you notice a burning or unusual smell coming from an electrical outlet, unplug everything connected to it and call a professional electrician for appropriate repairs.

Prevent Electrical Issues with Critter Guard

Rodents in your home, such as squirrels, rats, and mice, can be a common cause of damaged wiring and electrical issues.

At Critter Guard, our Line Guard and Pole Guard solutions are designed to prevent critters from accessing your home and important electrical equipment, protecting homeowners from possible electrical accidents. To learn more about our wildlife control solutions and how they can help prevent electrical issues within your home, contact us today.

Previous Post Next Post